Monday 23 July 2012

Ribs!

It's been a month since we moved to Massachusetts, and while I've been cooking lots (it's expensive to eat out!), I haven't really felt anywhere close to being a domestic goddess! Cooking has become a chore that I squeeze in between other chores.

How very sad!

But today, I rekindled that love affair. A friend from home (let's call him T) has been in town, and we invited him home for dinner. I really didn't think he wanted to have stir-fry or pasta and I wasn't going I try steaming lobsters! It seemed like perfect opportunity test out Sweet Baby Ray's famous BBQ sauce (http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/) on some finger-lickin ribs!

It was my first time, and I would normally never try out a new recipe when cooking for a guest. But T is also a foodie and enjoys cooking, so he gave me some tips and I felt confident enough to try it out.

It was actually really simple. I cooked it mainly in the slow-cooker (soaking in 1 bottle of Hickory smoked and brown sugar BBQ sauce plus shopped onions), and finished it off under the broiler. It was really good! Very yummy. If I had more time to let it cook in the slow-cooker (5-6 hours), it would have been even better.

I used a mixture of baby back ribs and boneless ribs. The boneless ribs were not as nice owing to a relative lack of fat.

I have several more bottles of sauce and will definitely be trying this out again. I figure I could do char-siew the same way.

And now that I have started using the slow cooker, I am tempted to try out other slow cooker recipes such as chicken stew. The domestic goddess wannabe is fighting her way back!


No comments: