Thursday 24 January 2008

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Icing

I love chocolate and I couldn't wait to finally make some proper chocolate cake. This is from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. I finally had an excuse to use my mum's Kenwood Chef! It was also my first time icing a cake. It was fun, if a little messy. Junior was most intrigued.

Didn't manage to follow the recipe exactly - couldn't get any golden icing sugar, so used regular icing sugar for the icing. I found the icing too sweet on its own but paired with the subtle taste of the cake, neither too sweet nor too chocolately, it was really really really good. In fact, it was good enough for me to give a few slices to my neighbour and family without getting too embarrassed. Also, I could've eaten the entire cake on my own, so I saved myself a couple of pounds by giving it away...

I found it was best enjoyed after spending a day in the refrigerator, though my husband preferred it fresh or at room temperature.

My next baking effort will be something lighter, though the chocolate recipes are really tempting!

2 comments:

Katong Gal said...

Wow, I see you are really entering new territory - baking, blogging. It's wonderful what a little time away from the office can do for a person.

suz said...

Moving out of my comfort zone...challenging myself...all that jazz ya know? :)